Tag Archives: Negros Oriental

8th Tulabing Clan Reunion 2011

venue : St. Cruz Auditorium Palanas,Bgy St. Cruz ,Tanjay City
Time 8am -4pm
Date APRI.9,2011 Sat.

Clusters and its Representative

* Diplahan –Carlos Tulabing

* Kabasalan- Emma Demegillo

* Naga -Presly/ Roger Tulabing

* Ipil –  Marissa Belida

* Sindangan -Felipe Tulabing

* Manukan- Porferio Tulabing

* Dipolog- Danilo Tulabing

* Tanjay -Gildard Tulabing- 09396092399 & 09179169495


1 Comment

Filed under family Heritage, Tulabing

21th years of Stamp collecting 1989-2010

Hi! Everyone, Warm Greetings, This year I am celebrating the 21th years as a postal stamp collector.I started collecting Postal Stamp since 1989 as a grade school pupil of C.V.P.C. ( Negros Oriental STATE University ) in Dumaguete City,I would like to appeal to relatives,friends and fellow citizen in the Philippines and around the world. If you have old postal stamp or old letter with stamp  frm. the Philippines,Asia,Southeast Asia,Middle East,Africa,Pacific Islands,Europe,South America,Central America,North America ( Canada) and USA. Your old stamp from all over the world would add to my collection to preserve a wonderful tradition of History,People,Events,and the different Era that was,every stamp tell us a story. Pls do send it to me,

Mr. Penn Larena, Dumaguete City Tourism Council c/o City Tourism Office Quezon Park,Sta. Catalina St. Dumaguete City,Negros Oriental Philippines

Take care,More Power and More Power

Mr.Penn Larena

 Stamp Collector

1 Comment

Filed under Stamp Club, stamps

LORENZO CIMAFRANCA a World War II Hero of Dumaguete

 When World War II broke out on December 7,1941,he was a young man then enjoying his studies at Silliman University.Lorenzo learned of the resistance movement being organized in the mountains through the late Major Juan Dominado who invited him to join the guerrillas.Ensong detailed in the Intelligence section under Lt.Dominado and was immediately assigned to the occupied area in Dumaguete City.His task was to gather information regarding Japanese Troop movements to secure medical and office supplies.On one of these occasions,He was assigned to deliver two letters one letter from Dr. Robert Silliman ( sent thru the Atty Rodrigo Tugade) for the late Ambassador Jose M.Romero and another letter from Lt. Dominado for Engineer Eduardo Blanco,complete set of blue prints covering in detail the lay out of the Dumaguete airfield. Their was a time that the Resistance Movement will go to their house to met with the group.One afternoon as he approached Eng. Blanco’s house,He saw Engineer Jovenal Somoza ( Blanco’s assistant) that was the last time he saw Somoza alive ( Cimafranca recalled). One Cloudy and rainy afternoon this plan was placed inside the iron bars of his bicycle rolled map covered with manila paper rolled the map as small as he could tightened as small as possible it with a rubber band which he brought along,and inserted the map into the bar of the bike.Then put back the seat. Blanco was happy before he left,and told him that in three day’s time,if everything went well one time he pass by the Blanco’s house biking without showing the faintest recognition although there was a sort of smile on his lips that was the last time I saw him alive ( Cimafranca recalled). Months later many prominent people in Dumaguete were arrested by the Japanese.One by one those arrested were released,except the four,Blanco,Somoza,Chi, and Portuguese by the name of Silva while Ensong was in Palinpinon in Valencia Town but the Japanese was looking for him in their house near downtown area. September 22,1945 the 503rd U.S. Airborne Division at Guinsoan Zamboanguita,under the coconut trees a military surrender ceremony was solemnly enacted.The surrender took only around thirty minutes.Lt Juan Dominado and Lorenzo were the only Filipino witness and photographer the said historical event and the end of the Occupation. Before and after World War II he worked in their family owned company”The Uymatiao trading”Tnat.Sgt.Lorenzo A. Cimafranca rendered continue us service with the same organization from the time he was indicated into the military service until 26,April 1945.When he was transferred to the CIC,488TH Detachment,United States Army under the command of 2nd Lt.Henry Willy,USA.,he was attached to and returned back to his original unit which was by that time had been re-activated as the 3rd Battalion,53rd Infantry P.A. seventh military district of United States forces in the Philippines. Recognized his service as an Intelligence secret agent and military services during World War II by the Armed forces of the Philippines and a “Service Decorations Awarded given in June 12,1968 in Manila.One of our surviving war hero in Negros Oriental.His experience,Knowledge,Bravery and memorable treasure stories teach us to respect our motherland and fellowmen to love and protect our freedom.

Leave a comment

Filed under Hero


The first postage stamps used in the Philippines were issued by Spanish colonial authorities in 1854, or 14 years after the world’s first stamps had been issued by Great Britain. Since then, Philippine stamps have followed the country’s history through its many periods. The first Spanish Philippine stamps do not bear the name of the country, but are identified through the portrait of the reigning monarch, in this case Isabella II in profile with a coronet. Denominations are 5 and 10 cuartos, 1 and 2 reales. These were hand­engraved on metal plates, and thus differ from each other in many minute details. One carries the word carros instead of carreos, a genuine error valued by stamp collectors.

During the early Spanish regime in the Philippines, exchange of letters and communications were limited to those belonging to the officials of the government and the dignitaries and priests of the Catholic church, the letters, communications and the documents were carried by “badageros” who rendered free services to the colonial government. Badageros either hiked or rode on horseback in dispatching the early postal service from “Tribunal (town hall) to tribunal or to the “Casa Real” (provincial capital).

The badageros who acted as courier (counterpart of our present postman) were also called the “Polistos” classified as male citizens from 18 years who did not hold any public office like the “Gobernadorcillo” (Mayor), “Teniente primero y segundo” (vice-mayor), the Juez, “Cabesas” (councilors), the Commesarios” and “Cuadrillos” (Policeman) and “Escribanos (clerks). Badageros performed their courier services by rotation. Two Badageros were assigned every day at the Tribunal to be relieved the next day. If letters or communications were rush in nature, the badageros had to go and dispatch them even at midnight.

Ship carrying mail from Manila came to Dumaguete two times a month, but those from Iloilo and Cebu came weekly to Bais and the capital. This same boat that our National Hero Dr. Jose Rizal took for Dapitan his place of exile in 1892.

The beginning of the American Occupation the first samples being current U.S. overprinted with Philippines (1899).In 1906,the first stamps under the American insular  government were issued each one in a set of 14 clearly inscribed with Philippine Islands / United States of America.

In 1920 the American teacher were the one who encourages  the people of the  community to collector Postal Stamp and this also the period in time that our local residents  received airmail postal  services and limited stamps were issued for experimental  and exhibition airmail fights. One of the pioneer American Stamp collector in Dumaguete is the American contactor Clyde V. Powers.

In 1943 during Japanese Occupation and World War II was a normal operation of postal service like other province in the Philippines but close monitor by the Japanese Imperial Forces. Juvenal Villanueva-Somoza and Prof. Leoncio B.Tulabing were among Philatelic collector but some of their collection were given to the Japanese as payment for goods for the family in 1944. Most of the stamp during this era were printed in Tokyo Japan

In 1950s this is a new beginning era of Philatelic collecting worldwide people enjoy collecting for fun and as a hobby among the pioneer collectors  is Dr. Vicente Guzman-Sinco For his distinguished career in public service or educational administration, he received several citations, gold medals of merit, or diplomas of honor from the University of Minnesota in 1956, the Philippine YMCA in 1959, the Jose P. Laurel Memorial Foundation in 1962, the Texas Southern legal Foundation in 1962, the University of the Philippines in 1970, and the Rizal Pro-Patria Award in 1972 from the Republic of the Philippines; in addition to five honorary doctorates from Ohio Northern University (1952), the University of Manila (1958), Silliman University (1962), Central Philippine University (1968) and the University of the Philippines (1970).Mr  & Mrs Manuel Utzurrum Jr a true blue Sillimanian and active church member of Silliman University Church and Mrs Monserat Magbanua a civic leader and girl’s scout executive council.

Marcos Era of the 1970s was the first special issue for Negros Oriental the T.V. Pavilion Requested Philippine Tuberculosis Society Negros Oriental Chapter.80s was also a new Beginning  of stamp collectors  in grade school and high school students were into it exchanging  paper, stationery and sticks. A taste of glory of Negrense personality was in a souvenir sheet of stamps in 1994 Jose Yulo , 1995  Rafael Salas , and our very own Sen.  Jose Romero in 1997.

The fifth of a series  of souvenir sheets and first day covers issued by Philippines Postal Corporation to publicize for the centenary of Philippine Independence Date of Issue June 14,1997 Pantaleon Villegas a native of Bacong Negros Oriental & hero during the Philippine Revolution is included in this series. Sixth of a series of Souvenir sheets and first day of Negros Uprising 1898 issue. November 5, 1998  one of the frame presentation of the Negros Uprising Stamp to Bacolod City for its unveiling with no less than the Chair of the National Centennial Commission Salvador Laurel Jr. and Philippine Centennial Movement Chair Gloria Angara doing the honors. It was a joint project by Cebu Stamp Club, Inc and Negros Navigation attended by Richard Allan Uy, Ricardo Teves and top executives of NN. This event was never an exhibition but an unveiling ceremony. First Dumaguete Philately Society later part of the 90s was organized by   Monserat  Magbanua as President and Richard Rauscher a American Citizen with a French ancestry   as Vice President. I remember a stamp exhibit  about Philippine History and other related topics was held in Lee Super Plaza one of the shopping mall in Dumaguete in the 90s.

In 2008 during 108th Silliman University Founder Day celebration was the idea to bring an exhibit to Dumaguete City was a result of email communications between Richard Uy and CSCI Board member Aidalyn Arabe who hails from this city. Once it was decided to pursue the project, letters were sent to Dr. Elizabeth Susan Vista-Suarez, Cultural Officer of Silliman University and Mr. Dinno Depositario, the Vice President of Student Life and External Affairs of the Foundation University.

The exhibit was titled “Philippines, The Land Of Heroes.. A Retrospect Through Stamps.” With the sponsors coming in, everything was in place. The exhibit title was changed to “Selyo At Kasaysayan.. A Retrospective of Filipino Heroes Through Stamps.” The exhibit posters, tarpaulins, invitation letters and programs were printed by Silliman University. Cebu Stamp Club came out with its own posters, tarpaulins and invitation programs.This unique exhibit retells and miniaturizes Philippine history. It is like a picture story book but instead of using pictures, we use stamps to portray our history. One of the exhibit materials taken from my collections has been a winner in a National Competition as well as in Regional Competitions.  Sometime in May, Penn Villanueva Larena invited his uncle, Postmaster General Hector RR. Villanueva of the Philippine Postal Corporation to grace the occasion. True enough, the postmaster came to the opening of the exhibit.

The well attended program opening in Dumaguete City started at 3:00 PM with the Invocation and National Anthem sung by Silliman’s Ating Pamana led by Dr. Elizabeth Susan Vista-Suarez. The Welcome Address was done by Prof. Isabel Dimaya-Vista who was the former chairman of the Cultural Affairs Committee. Year after Cebu Stamp Club members based in Dumaguete organized a corps. group of five persons lead by Gary Rosales,Richard Rauscher,Penn Larena Aidalyn Arabe and Midfred Ong.

A monthly meeting started in July of 2009 and share of taught was held at the Girls Scout of office near the Capitol Building.The first stamp exhibits for the newly established stamp club was held at Colegio de Santa Catalina de Alejandria ( COSCA ) during the 50th anniversary  of the institution at the Main Library sponsored  by COSCA, Matiao Transport Co. and Expressions Flowers.

Dumaguete Stamp Collectors Club  in partnership with Foundation University, Philipost ( Dumaguete Post Office ), and  Matiao Transport Co.Presents “Thematic and Accumulation” A non-competitive Philatelic Exhibit on Olympics, Philippine Christmas, Tourism, lighthouses , Japanese Occupation 1940s-1950s ,Aviation and UP Past Presidents. The grand opening will be on Dec 14,2009,viewing time is from 8:30am- 5:00pm .Come and Visit this one in a lifetime exhibit and learn world of stamp collecting.


Filed under Stamp Club

LARENA CLAN of Bais City

LARENA CLAN The Larena family started as a group of Moorish people from North Africa migrated to Iberian Peninsula ( now Spain and Portugal ).They were considered one of the faithful servant of the Queen Isabela of Aragon ,at first this people have no surname ,one of the adviser of the Queen told her to give them the surname “ Larena” meaning “ The Queen”,the Family was very thankful and honor.They settled in the place called Malaga in Southern part of Spain. When Central and South America countries were discover the family move there.Ten years after to seek of good greenish pasture,they settled in Central Mexico in Morelos to seek better livelihood and good life. In the Middle 17th century due to the Manila Acapulco trade relationship,the Mexican Government send troops to the Philippines assign in different places. Don Agustin de Sandes a Spanish Mexican descent was born in Malaga Southern Spain , but rise and grow up in Moralos Mexico the Patriach of the Larena /Slave Clan. Agustin was the pioneer Mexican mechant in Negros .He was dealing in Tobacco,copra,hemp,distilled spirits ,sugar and salt industry . Family Motto : GOD, FUTURE, LIFE LARENA CLAN The Larena family started as a group of Moorish people from North Africa migrated to Iberian Peninsula ( now Spain and Portugal ).They were considered one of the faithful servant of the Queen Isabela of Aragon ,at first this people have no surname ,one of the adviser of the Queen told her to give them the surname “ Larena” meaning “ The Queen”,the Family was very thankful and honor.They settled in the place called Malaga in Southern part of Spain. When Central and South America countries were discover the family move there.Ten years after to seek of good greenish pasture,they settled in Central Mexico in Morelos to seek better livelihood and good life. In the Middle 17th century due to the Manila Acapulco trade relationship,the Mexican Government send troops to the Philippines assign in different places. Don Agustin de Sandes a Spanish Mexican descent was born in Malaga Southern Spain , but rise and grow up in Moralos Mexico the Patriach of the Larena /Slave Clan. Agustin was the pioneer Mexican mechant in Negros .He was dealing in Tobacco,copra,hemp,distilled spirits ,sugar and salt industry . Family Motto : GOD, FUTURE, LIFE


Filed under family Heritage

Casa Larena 1790

Casa Rubio Ancestral Home
By the Bais historian Penn T.Villanueva- Larena

Casa Rubio ( Now Casa Larena) was built in 1790 by the Spanish Architect Danilo Castillo- Montegrande but the interior was made by local carpenter. The house was owned by Don RODRIGO Antonio Camilo Rubio this was a gift to his second wife Doña Ma Lourdes “ Canuta” Villacampa Rubio. Largely patterned after the residences of Europeans at first,the Spaniards in particular,most of these houses are rectangular with spacious rooms for large family. The gate entrance hallway ( ZAGUAN)usually leads to the patio and the ground floor of the stone room, stable, coaches and servants quarters were located.

The first owners were Don Rodrigo Antonio Carmilo Rubio and his family. After World War II the house was inherited by a niece of the family Doña Milagros Perequit vda de Valdevia.The original owners has five Children Braulio Rubio became a councilor of the local government unit of Bais , Carmen married to Juanito Saavedra a famous Political leader and served many position in government during the Spanish and American Rule ,Josefina a well known haciendara and married to Don Demetrio Larena the first Civil Governor of Negros Oriental and Co-founder of Silliman University, Maria married to Don Juan Montenegro later on became the Vice Governor and Acting Governor and Faustina married to Sugar Planter Manuel Gonzales .

The house by the Antillan or Balay na Tisa standard is built of cut stone corals ( tablea ) and timber for the second floor. A place in the town venue to many remarkable event in our Negrense History such as parties, political meetings and visitors from the diplomatic community like Pres. Manuel Quezon,Sergio Osmeña,US President William Howard Taft, American Governor General Leonard Wood ,Dr and Mrs David and Laura Hibbard founders of Silliman University and Vice President Noel de Castro.

House was the venue to the first bible services in the Northern Negros Local UCCP Protestant Church and Family founded the church in 1909.The present owner Demetrio”Puroroy” Larena III and family a lover of history and Continue a family heritage.

House of the Pioneer Protestant family in Central Visayas

Leave a comment

Filed under Heritage houses

Political History of Vallehermoso

Vallehermoso is the northernmost town of the province of Negros Oriental . It is bounded by Canlaon City in the west, San Carlos City in the north, Tañon Strait in the east and the municipality os Guihulngan in the south.
In 1571, when the Spaniards came to Negros island the most populated area was a place called Bagawines. It was under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Guihulngan .
However, the “Bukidnons” dominated the area. They inhabited in the wilderness and were known to be fierce. They waylaid strangers and travelers and robbed them of their possession and goods. Older folks in the municipality recalled a bukidnon became a “huramentado” or ran amuck he was called a “magahat” or “maghat”. A “maghat” or “magahat” is fierce and wild and usually tied and red cloth around his head to signify anger and war-like stance. These “maghats” were responsible for many killing in the area. They strapped the victim with a “lambat” or net. They usually did this in the place before Bagawines. This place was reffered to before as “kanlmbat”. This is where the Poblacion is now located.
The town was the privilege of having been the official recidence of the revolutionary leaders and hero of Negros Oriental ─Don Diego de la Viña y de la Rosa. Don diego de la Viña shaped the beginnings of the municipality, “Valle hermooso” when he saw the beautiful valley. In 1881, Don Diego del a Viña came from Negros Occidental in search for territories to conquer for him. The land he saw a top the mountains was the wilderness called Bagawines. Bukidnons, known to be unfriendly aboriginals inhabited the area. However, de la Viña sougth the tribel chief, named Ka Saniko and truck barter. For lands on coastal Bagawines, de la Viña offered wondrous articles from Iloilo , such as fine canes, well-crafted bolos and colorful patadyongs. Ka Saniko the moved further to Pinokawan. De la Viña with a number of Bukidnons cleared the land and constructed his residence, a casa tribunal and a chapel. In less than five years they transformed the valley into a hacienda of sugar cane, tobacco, coconut, rice and corn. He called it the “beautiful valley,” Vallehermoso.
De la Viva bought, bartered and did everything else possible to enlarge his landholdings until it stretch from Molobolo on the boundary of Guihulngan, north to Macapso on the boundary of San Carlos , west to the slopes of Canlaon where he pastured his cattle and horses. He opened a road to Negros Occidental, which paved the way for his historic involvement in the local revolution against Spain .
Don Diego de la Viña was an illustrado being born from a Spanish-Chinese parentage. He grew up in Binondo, Manila but went to Basque , Asturias in Spain to earn his Bachelor’s degree in Arts. Upon his return to Manila , he married a “Tagala” with whom he had four children. He brought them with him when he settled in Negros . Endowed with a pioneering spirit he searched for a place where he could establish a residence and fulfill his dream to carve out fortune. When he resided in Bagawines, he influenced the way of life of the bukidnons. They became civilized and tempered their warring tendencies. He inculcated to the bukudnona the love of work and the idea of religion. He frowned on laziness. In the hacienda, that De la Viña established unemployment was not known. His work in the plantation made him physically strong and spiritually active.
When his wife died, he remarried an Ilongga. He sired three children with his second wife. It was in the last quarter of 1988 when Don Diego de la Viña became involved in the revolution. His brother, Dr. Jose de la Viña was one of the delegates to the Macolos Congress. Dr. de la Viña regularly informed Don Diego of the latest development of the Republic government under Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. Gen. Aguinaldo duly commissioned Don Diego de la Viña with the rank of General de Brigada, Commandante del Ejercito filipino, Provincia de Negros Oriental. His son was also commissioned Lieutenant Colonel of the Infantry. He secretly trained his peasant how to handle a rifle. He turned He turned their plowshares into bolos, “pinuti, “talibong”, “bahi”, spears and lances. Soon more and more men joined the group of de la Viña. He was soon around riding on a big white spotted horse during the “revolucionario”.
De la Viña became known as the “Tigulang or the Grand Old Man”. He was considered a “cacique”, for he was a man who has the say in all appointments, he became the judge of local conflicts and designed the improvements for the place.
In 1895, the Augustinian Recollect Father Meliton-Martinez de los Sagrados Corazones de Jesus y de Maria was appointed first Misionero de Bagauinis. Vallehermoso, parish of St. Isidore, separated from Guihulngan and became a municipality on January 1, 1913, by Acting Governor-General Newton Gilbert.
The towm’s political succession is for the most part, a dynastic line descended from De La Viña. In 1937, Ines Serion served her first term as the first lady mayor of Vellehermoso. She was known as the first lady Mayor of the Philippines in the entire country as well.
On October 11, 1946, the properous barrio Mabigo which was part of Vallehermoso became the municipality of Canlaon.
The municipality of Vallehermoso celebrates its annual fiesta in honor of ots patron St. Isidore The Farmer on May 15. The municipality celebrates its fiesta each year with pageantry and lavish food preparation. The community residents take pride in their hard won prosperity. For this year, 1999, the town fiesta with the theme “Vallehermoso in hte limeligth at the threshold of the Thrid Millenium.
During the Spanish Regime, Gregorio Baylosis was appointed as the Teniente del Barrio. In 1913-1918 during hte American Regime, Marcos Bernandez was appionted as the Municipal President. In 1937, the Commonwealth passed the law, giving women the right of suffrage. This paved the way in granting women full participation in political affairs. The first female candidate to win the election was Ines V. Serion. She gained acceptance and recognition as the first woman to be elected to the highest position in the municipal government in th  entire country.
World War II interrupted the political, social and economic progress of the town. A contingent of the Japanese Imperial Army occupied the municipality. They set up their headquarters in htr Poblacion at the house of Ciriaco G. Olladas in the early part of may until September 1942. The municipal officials designated by the Japanese Army on a transitory manner served the term only for a very short period. The guerilla units organized locally continuously harrased the Japanese, they however decided to abandon the town.
During the Commonwealth government, from 1919-1942, the following officials governed the municipality. Table 1 enumerates the name of the government official, their official positions and the period of the term of ofice. The period covers from 1919 to 1942.

Leave a comment

Filed under family Heritage, Town or City History